Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I can't find a specialist anywhere near me. My dog has

I can't find a specialist...
I can't find a specialist anywhere near me. My dog has severe house soiling issues since I got her three years ago. She is a rescue. I have done full blood panels every year and ua's. I have worked with trainers and done everything they said. I am desperate as she is ruining everything. I need help and feel like no one can help us.
My zipcode is 53143
8/22/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed of dog you have?

What did the trainers tell you to do and what have you tried? (Please be specific and do not generalize)

I have a pitbull. I crated her at one point and she messed in it every time. I was told to feed her loose food on the floor of the crate which I did for months. I have also went outside with her for months and rewarded her each time. No improvement. I have tried pew pads and attractants. We have a midday dog sitter. Olive had a rough start and came into the shelter at 8 months emaciated and in her own filth. When I first got her she did have a couple uti and she had an episioplasty upon recommendation. I can't crate this dog because she physically destroys it and messed in it every time n needs a daily bath. She's on fluoxetime and is a high energy dog. I put up the water when I'm gone. I tiled my floor for her and now she's going on furniture

Thank you for that information. It sounds like she grew up in a puppy mill and then may have been homed briefly but due to behavior they got rid of her.

Dogs brought up in mills learn to go to the bathroom where they eat and sleep because it is their only choice. These make the most difficult dogs to house train and can take months to years before you see change.

It also sounds like she may suffer some separation anxiety if she is destroying her kennel. When she eliminates in the house are you home at the time or out of the house or in the home but not in her view?

It is mostly when I am not home. Even if I'm gone an hour. Yet sometimes she will have two good days in a row. She has done it in front of me on occasion and at times when I'm asleep. My vet said I have no other option but to find her an outside home or put her down. I'm not ready for that.

I might steps for separation anxiety as sometimes medication alone are not enough.

When you are home, tether her to you and make sure to take her out frequently so you can set her up to succeed. Bring something special with you when you take her out such as a chicken sliver or hot dog sliver , give her a potty command (even as she is eliminating) then praise and reward with that special treat. Sometimes the more we can set them up to succeed, the more the bad behaviors are extinguished.

But I am worried that she is suffering anxiety and if you are not seeing a difference on the fluoxetine (prozac) I would talk to the Vet about trying something else as some of the side effects of this are anxiety and panic attacks. So it may be making things worse. But it does have to be in the system for a while before it actually starts having a good effect. I don't know how long she has been on it.

here is more on this medication https://www.vetinfo.com/fluoxetine-dogs-behavior.html

Here is more on treating separation anxiety http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/separation-anxiety-dogs#1

Daily positive training can help with SA because you set the dog up to succeed which then builds confidence.

playing some calming music when you are not home might help.

calming music on youtube to try out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHEB41yRdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=89&v=joe-ePqCqWc

It may help also to set the pup up in a dog day care while you work as this will keep some activity in her life

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
You don't know anyone that can work with us? Weeding through trainers is daunting and I'd really like to see a behavior specialist that has a lot of experience with this.

I am sorry for the delay in reply.

I would look on the Association for Pet dog trainers site. Usually they are pretty skilled in this type of thing. The other thing is you can ask your Vet for a Vet behaviorist as they do see this more than a regular Vet does. They may be more willing to try other meds.

Ask the trainer if they have dealt specifically with separation anxiety before.

ADPT trainers https://apdt.com/about/trainer-search/

Great. Thank you

You are very welcome:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olive. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant