Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I fed my bulldog puppy (9 weeks old 8lbs) dinner today

Hello, I fed my...

Hello, I fed my bulldog puppy (9 weeks old 8lbs) dinner today around 5:45pm (1/3 cup puppy kibble) and he also drank a ton of water (so much I had to take it away from him). I noticed about 5 minutes later his belly was very large (like he swallowed a whole personal watermelon!) he acted fine though. I took him outside after, and he went no. 2 about 4 times within a span of 25 minutes. He is acting fine. His stomach seems to be going down, but what do you think happened? I was reading that this could be an emergency type of thing, but I assumed it was gas and no big deal... I think he is ok since he is still being playful and seems completely fine other than his belly being a little bigger... I definitely dont want this to happen again though since it sounds dangerous from everywhere I have read online...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the bulldog's name?

Bam bam

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

We are in the process of changing his food over to another brand

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

This type of observation from owners is quite common, in fact. The kibble in the puppy's stomach swells in the presence of water and gives a bloated appearance. We recommend fasting for a few hours (no food or water) to give the kibble a chance to pass from the stomach. Fecal production during this time is quite common and although Bam Bam is not showing signs of being unwell he's probably at least a bit uncomfortable. So long as he's not showing any signs of nausea, vomiting, lethargy, etc. I doubt this is an emergency. If he shows signs of being unwell, though, he should be checked by a vet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you so much. This put my mind at ease quickly. I was thinking it was something simple. Im definitely going to space his water and kibble apart to try to avoid this. Like you said he is producing a lot of poop and it is pretty soft. Thank you again!

Sure thing. Let me know if I can help further.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hello, I had some questions regarding Bam bam again and his digestion. He has had very soft, diarrhea like stool for 2 days now and he is drinking Non-Stop. He will sit where his water normally is and cry until I give him some. We are only giving him about 10 oz a day. Is that not enough? Today when he went number two it was very soft and then just now it was straight up liquid. Would that be him just adjusting to the new food?

Can you tell me more about Bam Bam? How many visits to the vet has he had? How many vaccines? How many fecal exams? How many times has he been dewormed?

How fast of a switch has he had to the new food?

How much does Bam Bam weigh?

When he urinates, what color is the urine?

We just got him Friday and he has only been to the vet twice. He has both rounds of vaccines and his 3rd round is scheduled for two weeks from Saturday. His last dewormer was 7/24/17 (pyrantel). He was eating a completely different food with the breeder and because it had horrible reviews stating animals were getting really sick lately so I didnt buy it. We have had him on a different food and I knew he would have some digestive problems at first, but I didnt think this bad. He has not had a fecal exam. His urine is clearish yellow and he weighs 8lbs.

It would be ideal to allow him to have as much water as he likes, but if he's consuming excessive amounts he needs to see your vet and they will likely want to run some diagnostics testing on him. With the diet change, it's very possible his desire to drink water may be linked to nausea, as well. We, as owners, should always strive for 7-10 days of slow switching (even if its a food we don't prefer) to avoid GI upset. Most dogs can handle a switch of their food but some very sensitive individuals can wind up in the hospital from this type of rapid switch. If the symptoms persist, reach out to your vet before this worsens.

At home, you can move him to a bland diet and once the stool is firm then slowly switch him back to the kibble you prefer. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy