Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

My dog seemed to be feeling ill, throwing up and then I fed

My dog seemed to be feeling ill, throwing up and then I fed her rice and chicken for two days and now she won't poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Im not sure really
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: She did eat two tampons a couple weeks ago but pooped them out
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Lillie

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

What breed is Lillie?

Is she still eating the chicken and rice?

What was the last time she defecated? Is she posturing to defecate and straining?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Birdie collie and pointer mix.
I stopped with the rice and chicken and I am not just giving her chicken and veggies. She started a new kind of dog food that I thought was correlating to her sickness.She is not even trying to poop, her last poop was about 24 hours ago.She is acting very normal and even was playing outside for the last hour with her puppy friends.She has not thrown up since I switched her food.

Ok, thank you for that information.

It is normal for a dog's GI tract to slow after eating rice and I am not overly concerned that it's been 24hrs since her last stool.

If she is currently eating chicken and veggies, with a good appetite and no vomiting, I recommend transitioning her over 5-7 days to her new kibble.

When changing foods, it is best to transition over at least 5 days to minimize any GI upset, like vomiting and diarrhea.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat