Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is hiding and acting scared. He's also looking up all

Hi my dog is hiding and acting scared. He's also looking up all the time to the ceiling. We took him to the vet and he says he's fine only that he has allergies. That we should look out for seizures. We're worried he's usually fearless. He's 2 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He was sneezing a lot for two days and then today started hiding.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

There are seizure types called focal seizures where the dog's behavior changes. They may act frightened , distant or become more clingy to the owner.

What breed of dog do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A terrier mix. Like a rat terrier
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's been hiding all day

Thank you. I can understand your Vet saying to watch for seizure activity, some dogs will stare at walls/ceilings, some will air lick, and there are a variety of other oddities. If there are focal seizures then other types of seizures may occur in the future,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should we look out for
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this normal in these dogs

Just looked at your picture. He really is hiding.

Some dogs will hide if they don't want to be touched due to pain as well and smaller dogs are prone to disc issues which have them hide from the owner.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When he's out for walks he acts normal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vet says he looks healthy

I am going to direct you to a link on seizures for reading. Hold on please

At this point all you can do is keep an eye on him. Bring him his water and food so he can eat and drink.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/seizure-disorders-in-dogs

as for disc issues that have them hide , you would see an arch in the back when walking, walking gingerly, no longer jumping on furniture.

This can not always be picked up by manipulation or x ray, sometimes a myelogram needs to be done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He came out for food. We should keep an eye for more seizure like behavior

I would watch for that. I would keep a journal for this odd behavior , take notice when it happens and what is going on around him when it happens. Sometimes that is helpful.

If they don't happen often nothing is done, but if they become frequent then the dog is put on phenobarbital

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the advice I will read the article

You are very welcome. I wish you the best.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.