Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

His hair is peeling off in small patches from his feet,

His hair is peeling...

His hair is peeling off in small patches from his feet, leaving new pink skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chester is between 3and4 years old. I should mention he is a pit bull and I just adopted him about a week ago. He has been vaccinated and treated for worms, ticks and fleas.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

We are going to the vet, but I just wanted to look into what possible causes are. I don't see him licking and they generally don't look inflamed.

8/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The two most important considerations with skin like that are a short hair pyoderma (bacterial skin infection/Staph, usually) and a dermatophyte (ringworm fungus). Make sure that Chester's vet performs a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of the affected skin surface) looking for both abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast and also performs a fungal culture of hairs from the periphery of a lesion. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Ok I'll do that. It has been wet here and he was on his own for quite a while with no shelter. I'll get him in this week. Thanks.

Sounds good. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian