Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

What is the typical stud fee arrangement for a purebred that

is sold for $3000/puppy? My...
What is the typical stud fee arrangement for a purebred that is sold for $3000/puppy? My Breeder asked to use my dog as a stud dog and I'm not sure what to expect.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/21/2017
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A lot of the stud fee depends on the quality of the stud. Of course a stud who has all their health clearances, has a championship title. and is an excellent example of the breed will command a high stud fee but even then the typical stud fee is the selling price of one of the pups or pick of the litter. Be sure to have an agreement which is signed by the females owner. In most cases, you get the fee regardless of the number of puppies produced but if less than 2 live pups are delivered, a repeat free breeding is done.

Now there are variations of the contract available. Some will state that only one pup must be produced but that doesn't quite seem fair to the dam's owners.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Thank you very much. Your answer was very helpful.