Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Yesterday my dog had uncontrollable diarrhea and alot of…

Yesterday my dog had...

Yesterday my dog had uncontrollable diarrhea and alot of saliva coming from his mouth. No throwing up. One minute he was fine and the next he wasn't. He is 10 months old and has all his shots. I took him to the animal hospital and they said he tested positive for parvo. Could that be a false positive?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

He eats everything he can get a hold of. Mushrooms that grow around trees and some plants too. Not sure if he ate something strange yesterday or not. It came on really fast and before I left the vet he was coming around.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jared

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jared?

No. He is very energetic and happy. Never had any problems til yesterday

8/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The in-house parvo test detects parvovirus antigen and no other enteric pathogens or vaccine virus. The presence of the antigen, however, doesn't necessarily mean that Jared will develop full-blown clinical parvovirus. His peracute (sudden) diarrhea and hypersalivation and "coming around" so quickly isn't consistent with that infection. I would be more concerned that he ingested a toxic mushroom or some other dietary indiscretion. How is he doing currently, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
He is back to his normal self

We can rule out parvo. That's good to hear. Please keep in mind that because of the difficulty in differentiating between toxic and nontoxic mushrooms any ingestion of unidentified mushrooms by pets should prompt decontamination procedures. Inducing emesis should done under the guidance of a vet and then activated charcoal is tubed down my patient's gastrointestinal tract. The prognosis after mushroom ingestion varies widely; for example...

GI irritant, muscarinic, and hallucinogenic mushrooms: excellent with supportive care

Hepatotoxic mushrooms: guarded to poor with hepatotoxicosis (liver poisoning)

Gyromitin containing mushrooms: guarded with hepatotoxicosis and hemolysis (red blood cell breakdown)

Nephrotoxic (kidney poisoning): guarded.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.