How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30288
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday my dog had uncontrollable diarrhea and alot of

This answer was rated:

Yesterday my dog had uncontrollable diarrhea and alot of saliva coming from his mouth. No throwing up. One minute he was fine and the next he wasn't. He is 10 months old and has all his shots. I took him to the animal hospital and they said he tested positive for parvo. Could that be a false positive?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He eats everything he can get a hold of. Mushrooms that grow around trees and some plants too. Not sure if he ate something strange yesterday or not. It came on really fast and before I left the vet he was coming around.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jared
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jared?
Customer: No. He is very energetic and happy. Never had any problems til yesterday

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The in-house parvo test detects parvovirus antigen and no other enteric pathogens or vaccine virus. The presence of the antigen, however, doesn't necessarily mean that Jared will develop full-blown clinical parvovirus. His peracute (sudden) diarrhea and hypersalivation and "coming around" so quickly isn't consistent with that infection. I would be more concerned that he ingested a toxic mushroom or some other dietary indiscretion. How is he doing currently, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is back to his normal self

We can rule out parvo. That's good to hear. Please keep in mind that because of the difficulty in differentiating between toxic and nontoxic mushrooms any ingestion of unidentified mushrooms by pets should prompt decontamination procedures. Inducing emesis should done under the guidance of a vet and then activated charcoal is tubed down my patient's gastrointestinal tract. The prognosis after mushroom ingestion varies widely; for example...

GI irritant, muscarinic, and hallucinogenic mushrooms: excellent with supportive care

Hepatotoxic mushrooms: guarded to poor with hepatotoxicosis (liver poisoning)

Gyromitin containing mushrooms: guarded with hepatotoxicosis and hemolysis (red blood cell breakdown)

Nephrotoxic (kidney poisoning): guarded.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.