Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Four years of small animal practice experience while establishing my own Equine mobile practice.
8634083

Potentially MMM - waiting for blood test confirmation.

potentially MMM - waiting for blood test confirmation. Yesterday a significant swelling appeared on her head - went to my vet who diagnosed an abscess. She is on Clavamox as of last night and the swelling is going down but her eye is swollen shut on the same side. Her original dose of Prednisone was 10 mg twice a day and it was increased to 15 mg twice a day. She seems much depressed today and although she ate she has little interest in anything but sleeping. She is an 18 lb 10 years old pug. Is the increased dose of Prednisone causing her to be more lethargic and should I go back to the vet today?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pug?
Customer: No they have been seeing her for years.

Greetings, and thank you for the question.

I’m sorry to hear about your Pug’s condition, as it sounds as if it is extremely uncomfortable for her!

Firstly, her lethargy and inappetence could be due to the prednisone. This anti-inflammatory can have a wide range of side effects, and what she is experiencing, although not common, may be attributed to the medication, and I recommend that you definitely discuss with her Vet.

As far as the abscess, did her Vet open the abscess in order to allow it to drain? It is common procedure that abscesses are lanced, drained and flushed with an anti-bacterial solution. Many times, a small drain is placed in the location of the abscess to keep the wound open and allow it to heal from the inside out. Also, am I correct in understanding that her eye swelling closed is a new problem that was not evident when she was initially seen by her Vet? Does she seem to be painful in that area?

Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the abscess will be drained at 2:30 today - the eye swelling was only visible this morning but the abscess has started to go down so I believe it's draining downwards into the tissue around the eye. She hasn't been in pain up till yesterday but I get the feeling she is in discomfort now as she cowers if my hand goes anywhere near that side of her face. I thought the Prednisone might have been affecting her so you confirmed it. I will discuss all of this with my vet thank you. ***** first contacted you I hadn't heard back from my vet so I think we'll be good for now. Thanks for your help and I will update later.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I never got the phone call and now it's not needed. Can you please refund my $28