Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My two dogs have ingested baby oil around 2 hours ago and

Hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: my two dogs have ingested baby oil around 2 hours ago and I'm just a bit worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: there is oil coming out of their back ends but no vomiting or breathing problems

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this happened.

How much baby oil was ingested?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a medium sized bottle that was 3-4 full. It is hard to say how much they both ingested but the bottle was empty when I found them with it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3/4 full sorry

I see.

Baby oil itself is just mineral oil, and won't be very toxic, however it will cause severe diarrhea/laxative effect. If it has been a couple hours, it is likely it has moved into the intestine by now. I would expect some loose stool in the next 24 hours. It may look like they are incontinent as they are going to have some leaking. This will be an inconvenience and uncomfortable for about 24-48 hours, but then should go back to normal. I would give them extra fiber to try to bulk up the stool a little to help. Give about 1/4 of a cup of canned pumpkin or a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder twice daily to help for now.

the fiber may help reduce the signs that come from the oil.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I will do that. I was just concerned about aspiration as I read this is where the harm can occur from baby oil. They have not had any breathing difficulties so far and are both sleeping comfortably now

If they did not vomit, it is very unlikely they will have aspirated any of it. If they begin vomiting, then there is some worry of aspiration. If the vomiting happens multiple times, a vet visit would be recommended to help stop the vomiting via injectable medication. It is most likely they will be fine besides the oil coming out and some loose stool.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help. You have put my mind at ease. I will keep an eye on them overnight and take them to the vet as soon as possible if they begin vomiting. Thanks again

You are very welcome.

I wish you and your dogs the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!