Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 1 year old min pin starting showing some symptoms this…

Our 1 year old...

Our 1 year old min pin starting showing some symptoms this morning of trembling/shaking slightly, and symptoms seems to have worsened over the day. She hasn't eaten her food all day, isn't drinking much, seems off balance and more lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Abby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?

She's an otherwise healthy dog, up to date on all vaccinations, and was spayed at six months. Everything was normal until I notiv noticed the slight trembling when she was still this morning

8/21/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your girl Abby. Is there anything she could have gotten into today? Have you noticed any vomiting or diarrhea?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

No vomiting or diarrhea. It's possible she could have gotten into something, as she's very curious and always chewing on something, but nothing I directly observed that would have been out of the normal.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm replying now with a few key parameters for you to keep an eye on.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate here, there are a number of things that could be going on here with your Min Pin today and we need to consider anything from an early infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity, musculoskeletal pain, an internal organ issue, or even just an anxiety/behavioral issue. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Abby tonight, and if this trembling and shaking continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. In case this is an early GI issue, for now you can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Abby's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Abby and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian