Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My small dog got a very bad concussion. The vet put him on

My small dog got a very bad concussion. The vet put him on prednisone and lasics. He is drinking a little water. Won't eat much. How do I care for him at home to make his recovery better
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max he is 4 and a morkie
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: He sleeps a lot and stumbles and falls over when he tries to walk.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry to hear about Max.

The key to recovery is to keep Max quiet and make sure he gets his medication on schedule. The Vet is treating for brain swelling with the Medication. The Prednisone will make him thirsty and hungry. Make sure he has water avaiable at all times close by where he is being kept.

He will be unsteady on his feet, so you may have to steady him for potty runs. The key will be monitoring him for pain, and unusal issues like a seizure or head tremors, nose bleeds or swelling in the eyes. This is a link that goes over Concusions: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/head-trauma-in-dogs

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is drinking but I cannot get him to eat. He ate about a teaspoon of soft puppy food this am but vomited it up shortly after.

Depending on his size we can give him some Pepcid AC to settle his stomach before feeding. We can also try some chicken baby food which may be easier on his stomach. If he continues to vomit when trying to eat the Vet may give him something for nausea which comes with the concussion.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you I am just worried because he is so special. How long does it usually take for him to start coming around?

Concussion recovery is a slow process, and I hate to say this, but need to be honest he may be left with some problems depending how the Brain itself recovers. The Vet is doing all he can, but it does take time for the swelling to go down and then we can see what if any issues he may have. Just monitor him for any unusual problems. If he is under 20 pounds you can give 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid ac to try and help with nausea before trying to feed him and that is every 12 hours.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He weighs 6.4 lbs. I pray he has a full recovery. Thank you for your time.

He is a small guy, I will keep him in my prayers. Please let me know how he is doing. I would appreciate a 5 star rating. I am not paid by the site until rated.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank yoi