Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just adopted a dog yesterday and brought her home. She

Hi, I just adopted a dog yesterday and brought her home. She won't eat or drink anything. Sometimes she takes a treat. She also has been showing symptoms of kennel cough. Should I take her to a vet or is she just getting used to a new environment so that's why she hasn't been eating or drinking?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bea?
Customer: Nope, just that she's in a new environment

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

It was very good of you to give Bea a home, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It is very common that where dogs have come from shelters and such places that they will develop infectious respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. These diseases are rarely anything to worry about and if left alone they will normally resolve on their own given a couple of weeks. That said a course of antibiotics will normally clear up the cough very quickly and the vet will check Bea over at the same time anyway which is always good with a new dog. So yes it would be good to take her to the vet sometime over the next few days.

2. As for the eating and drinking then the likelihood is that this is just her getting used to a new environment, going to a new home van be very stressful for a dog, but the vet will advise on this as well. Normally just a bit of kindness and patience is all that is required.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bea's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?