PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She has been drinking excessive amounts of water, coughs and

She has been drinking excessive amounts of water , coughs and has vomited once or twice in the last couple of weeks and seems a little lethargic she will be nine in October she had been consuming several treats a day of dentastixs right before this all started happening she had been eating them for several months before this chsnge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Stacy. Has your companion had any bloodwork thus far to determine the cause of the excessive drinking?

How often do you hear the coughing?

Has she been boarded, groomed or otherwise around other dogs in the last 21 days at doggy day care, dog parks or similar?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She had a senior blood test in April none of these things except a dry spot on her nose was present blood work came back good she has not been with other dogs and the coughing is after she drinks a large amount of water or after she gets excited
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

Did the excessive water consumption begin before or after the bloodwork?

Do you have a copy of the bloodwork to share?

How often do you hear the coughing? A few times a day? week? month?

What breed is she?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Symptoms are after the blood work and after she started eating the dentastix she has been cut off from them for Two weeks now not drinking as much water but still more than she used to the coughing is sparatic I would say a few times a week
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No copy of blood work

Thank you, ***** ***** breed is she?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Siberian husky 8.5 yrs spayed weighs 69 lbs

Perfect. Give me just a quick moment to type a response for you.

Given her age and recent onset of symptoms, I would recommend recheck bloodwork and a urinalysis. It's not uncommon for us to see that dogs develop conditions shortly after bloodwork is run and the excessive drinking is concerning for conditions like kidney disease, urinary tract infection, diabetes, cushing's disease, etc. I suspect the vomiting and coughing may be linked to the fact that she's ingesting large volumes of water and may become choked or induce vomiting. If the vomiting is a stand-alone concern, it may be linked to the aforementioned conditions, as well. I do not believe the dentastix are the cause of her symptoms alone. That said, if you think they might, remove the dentastix for a week and see if you witness any improvement. If not, it's time to visit your vet for diagnostics.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I will make an appointment to have her rechecked and I appreciate the advice

Sure thing. Let me know if I can help further.