Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Retriever. She

Hello. I have a 5...
Hello. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Retriever. She got her bloodwork taken on August 1st of this year. Her vet said all was normal. But, I had a question about her WBC. NEU/MONO/EOS/BASO all seem low. Does this look suspicious to you? Thanks in advance.
8/20/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I don't see anything of alarm. All of the absolute numbers of the different white blood cells as well as the total white blood cell count are within the normal range. Please clarify for me what you're concerned about.

I guess what I'm asking is, the NEU is .47 points away from being at an abnormal low. Is this a cause for concern of any? It seems her WBC are on the boarder line low side. But, this could just be my paranoia kicking in;-)

I understand because leukopenia (low total WBCs) and neutropenia (low neutrophils) indicate a poor prognosis. It's usually caused by excessive tissue consumption during severe inflammation and/or reduced bone marrow production. Because Sadie is otherwise normal, however, the two questions we should have are:

1) Is this picture normal for her? Comparing previous WBC counts and another one in a month can tell us this.

2) Is her WBC count/neutrophil count going to drop farther? Once again rechecking her WBCs in a month will tell us this.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Would you find this to be a concern and would you suggest checking her blood again?

I'm not concerned at this time. I would ask a caretaker to watch for any indication of illness which would prompt my rechecking the CBC and performing a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests. If Sadie remained well, I wouldn't schedule a recheck CBC unless you requested I do so.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Ok! That sounds good. Especially since it is coming from an experts point of view and not mine lol
So, sings of lethargy or not eating is what i should look out for?

Anything worrisome...lethargy, sedation, exercise intolerance, somnolence (sleepiness), increased respiratory rate, pale mucous membranes, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, anorexia, increased water intake/urine output...you get the idea!

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

ok sounds good! i will look out for that. Thank you, sir!

you're q

uite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Thank you. It looks like her normal is mid/low range normal. That's good to know!

Oh ok that's awesome! Thank you.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian