Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been bleeding from mouth,mainly when he is

sleeping! There are puddles of...
My dog has been bleeding from mouth,mainly when he is sleeping! There are puddles of blood!.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max ,he is almost 12. Just started a few days ago!.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: It just seems to bleed from the left side of his mouth!, thought was Thoth!.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Not that I know of.other wise he's fine!.
8/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

I have cleaned his mouth already so it's kind of hard to show!. But it's been only 2 days since this started, and other than that he is fine plays poop is fine !.

What breed of dog is Max?

What type of food is being fed? Kibble? Canned?

When was his last professional dental cleaning?

Does he permit you to examine inside of his mouth to check for foreign material and such?

Max is a min schnazer! He eats kibbles n bits, I checked his mouth didn't see anything ! Couldn't see anything abnormal!.

Hasn't had one for a while !, I clean his teeth a few times a month!

Thank you for the additional information. Miniature schnauzers have a higher risk of periodontal disease and this can occur below the gumline so it's very possible that him placing weight on that side of his mouth when he sleeps is causing a tooth to bleed. Tumors can also exist anywhere in the mouth that can also bleed. Chances are he's having some bleeding while he's awake, as well, but he's swallowing what is produced. Dogs do not swallow as regularly when asleep, so it's likely some of the bloody discharge is leaking from his mouth. I would go ahead and schedule a visit with your vet to have the mouth examined. Sedated dental x-rays may be needed to diagnose a problem that may exist below the gumline or at the root of a tooth. Most senior mini schnauzers need dental cleanings every 6 months to 24 months, so if he's been without for quite some time your vet is likely to recommend this, as well. If any diseased tooth is found, it can be extracted at that time.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you!, will check with vet!!.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse