Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My puppy got spayed on Monday and she removed the tee shirt

Hello! My puppy got spayed...
Hello! My puppy got spayed on Monday and she removed the tee shirt I had on her today while I was out and it looks as though one or two of the stitches are now gone. It looks as though the skin it still in tact, but there was a slight sheen, like a little bit of clear fluid, surrounding the site. She has been eating, sleeping and acting normal and let me use a warm rag to press lightly on the site. It felt a little stiff. We've put another shirt on her and tied the back of it to hoprefully prevent it from being removed again. Being that it's Saturday night, I'm not sure if I should take her in to the emergency vet or wait and see how she does overnight (with supervision, of course, and maybe some benedryl). She is very active (she's a husky, so keeping her tame has been a huge hassle) so any suggestions to calm her a bit would be appreciated as well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the Husky's name?
Customer: Ami
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ami?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

let me get her laying down andnill send a file

Okay that will be great!

Okay thanks for the picture. The incision does look intact and there is no swelling present, so I don't think there is a need for an emergency just yet. I would watch it very closely just to make sure it doesn't open up at all. Also I would gently clean it with warm water and an antiseptic soap and apply a little neosporin on the area. As long as it still looks the same I would just have it rechecked by your veterinarian as soon as you can.

Ok great! Would it be ok to wrap an ace bandage with some gauze under her shirt, in case she escapes her shirt again?

I would be concerned that the ace bandage may cause too much compression on the area and cause a potential issue. I would just stick with a t-shirt and get a cone for her so she won't lick at the area.

Ok. For benedryl dosing. She is about 40 pounds. What is the suggested dose for her size?

I would start at 25 mg to see if it helps if not then go up to 50 mg

Wonderful. Thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne