Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

3 days of diarrhea but acting fine otherwise. Stools are

3 days of diarrhea but...
3 days of diarrhea but acting fine otherwise. Stools are liquid and bloody.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brooke and she is 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brooke?
Customer: She is only outside to do bathroom duties. Stays in the house, has not had access to anything to eat other than her senior food
8/19/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Brooke who has had bloody diarrhea for 3 days now. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a large range of potential causes for Brooke's bloody diarrhea over the last three days or so, including anything from a dietary indiscretion, to an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something she shouldn't have - or even from raw meat - particularly chicken), a toxicity, or even something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel). Given Brooke's age, we even have to consider a primary bowel issue like IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), or even an internal organ issue here.

The most likely cause for these symptoms in this girl would be an infectious gastroenteritis, which can commonly be caused by salmonella or campylobacter. Definitely be sure to take a fresh fecal sample from her in an icecream container (or something similar) to your Vet tomorrow if this diarrhea is still present tonight, and from here they can send it to the lab for a fecal culture so that we know what is going on here. Diarrhea like this can also occur with intestinal worms (so be sure to have your girl wormed if she is overdue for this). A culture would also help rule out giardia which is also a common cause of such a diarrhea and needs quite a long treatment regime. If all was clear on the fecal culture, then given her age, an abdominal ultrasound would be a good next step to assess her bowel and internal organs, as well as a full blood test.

In the mean time, be sure to offer plenty of fresh water and even think about making her a warm chicken broth to encourage her water intake. If after tempting with several different foods, she isn't interested, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. My vet isn't open until Monday so I will keep a close eye on her and if need be a visit to the emergency is likely

That sounds like a perfect plan. All the best with Brooke.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
She is doing much better, have her on a bland diet for a few days.

Oh that's so good to hear. Thanks so much for the update!

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian