Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My medium sized Yorkie just ate about 12-15 Maltesers. Ive

My medium sized Yorkie just ate about 12-15 Maltesers. Ive exercised her to make her thirsty so that she would drink water. Should I be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkie?
Customer: Only that she is a very fit robust Yorkie who has loads of exercise.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she have these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 30-45 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your written response would be appreciated

Hello again,

Now the good news is that there isn't much chocolate in these, so if she had 15 we'd likely only see mild GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) as opposed to more severe signs. So while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again GI signs are all we'd expect even for a Yorkie having had these.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will monitor her closely and ensure her diet is light for the next 24 hours.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.