Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog is very itchy and has little red bumps around her Vagina but no fleas, Gracie and she just turned 4. We have not

She is very itchy and...
She is very itchy and has little red bumps around her Vagina but no fleas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie and she just turned 4. We have not given her any medication for fleas. Originally we thought that she was allergic to her food but we just switched her to Rachel stays food an
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: no
8/19/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gracie. I believe you're describing a vulvar pyoderma (bacterial skin infection/Staph, usually). Can you upload a photo(s) of the affected area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Please give me a moment to take a look at the pics...

Excellent pics! Yes, they reveal a minor pyoderma often due the skin remaining wet too long after Gracie urinates - either from her own urine or by her squatting in wet grass. The bacteria that invade the skin are her own bacteria found on her skin. They proliferated because the area had become moist as well as warm. You can see how an over the counter triple antibiotic such as Neopsporin or Polysporin affects the skin when applied twice daily for 7-10 days. She's going to try to lick off anything you apply so apply the ointment liberally and rub it in well. Severe cases are best addressed with a systemic antibiotic. You might find cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-24 hours to be quite helpful as well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian