Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's an elderly springer on metacam for arthritis, looking…

She's an elderly springer...

She's an elderly springer on metacam for arthritis, looking a bit wobbly at her back legs at times today but then fine again. She's eating fine and is up to mischief right now so I'm just looking for information as to whether I need to take her to the vet as an out of hours emergency or wait till Monday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, I've checked her over as she does have a history of injuring herself. The wobbliness seems to come and go. She has jumped on the sofa and gone up and downstairs, just seems a little clumsy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Poppy, and she's 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Poppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She has 20mg of metacam a day, last checkup (6 weeks ago) had a slight heart murmur. I think it's safe to say she is her usual happy self as she's just raided my bag for treats.

8/19/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been wobbly like this?

Is she favoring any leg in particular?

Any discomfort if you move them or flex/extend her joints?

Has she had any breathing changes?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Has she been drinking more?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

No breathing changes, retching etc. She hasn't eaten anything unusual, I Poppy-proofed the house when she came to live with me. She isn't favouring any leg, just clumsy at times, eg fell over when trying to get her ball. She has been like it all day. Gums are pink and moist, can't find any injury. She doesn't show discomfort and is still being playful.

Hello again,

Now I am very glad to hear she hasn't any of those changes I asked about since breathing changes/paling of the gums can be associated with urgent issues (ie bleeding, anemia, severe heart disease, etc) that could also cause wobbliness. With those aside and her not having a particular leg she is struggling with, this sounds more like Poppy's arthritis is progressing beyond the effects of her Metacam +/- we have a degree of spinal/nerve involvement as well. Of course, if she tends to show this just after jumping or using stairs, muscle strain may be playing a role In all those cases, they aren't emergencies so we don't need to rush her in but we'd want to think about having her seen once her regular vet is open. Ideally we'd want them to reassess her arthritis and check for nerve/spinal concerns. We may need them to alter her dose but more likely we may need them to add in a further medication (ie Gabapentin if we have nerve issues, tramadol etc) or even switch her to steroids if her arthritis is getting advanced. Of course, in the meantime, you could consider adding in OTC joint supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin) to help her Metacam help her. But again we can rest her and monitor with a view to a check up with her regular vet once they are open.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thanks - I'll take her to the vet on Monday. It's reassuring to have advice. I took her on as an old dog and I worry when I see a problem, especially when my vet is closed over the weekend. They would see her as an emergency of course but I didn't know if this was or not. Thanks for your help ��
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian