Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She's licking her anus a lot and the top part of it is red…

She's licking her anus...

She's licking her anus a lot and the top part of it is red and swollen. She's not scooting and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She just licks the area a lot. Should I go to the vet or will it go away on it's own?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey and she's 3

8/19/2017
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What kind of dog is Bailey?

How long has this been going on?

Is she eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?

Thank you!!

Absolutely.

Do I need to take bailey to the vet? Her anus has been red and swollen for a couple of days now

What kind of dog is she?

Is she defecating normally?

She's a hound mix. She looks like a big beagle she weighs 70 lbs and poops normally. Usually twice a day once in the morning and once in the afternoon and it looks normal.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So, it sounds to me like she may be having a problem with her anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.

There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .

As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.

Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps

Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!!
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech