Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My beagle had an accident during the night. She is still…

My beagle had an...

My beagle had an accident during the night. She is still having diarrhea, but did eat a little food this morning and is otherwise acting normal. She is drinking water. I was trying to see if there is something we can give her to help. She is she is a few months shy of 12 years old. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name?

Mary

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mary?

She takes a joint medicine and Benadryl for allergies, none of which she was given today. Otherwise she is healthy.

8/19/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you mean a urine or fecal accident?

What does her diarrhea look like?

Any lip licking, retching or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

fecal accident
light brown and watery
no
pink and moist
no discomfort, pain, tenderness or tensing
Not to our knowledge and we are usually always outside with her

Thank you,

Now we do need to forgive Mary for the fecal accident as diarrhea can often be difficult for them to control. Just to note, our main concerns for this in her case would be a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to help her. First, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Further to this, if she is very watery, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

As well, since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Mary's signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her gut. If she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics +/- fluids if needed to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.