PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an 8 year old lab who is 75 lbs. He has been to the

I have an 8 year old lab who is 75 lbs. He has been to the vet regularly for his vaccines , heartworm pill dental work etc
and other than getting a bit heavy (90lbs) a year or so ago ( which we treated by feeding him natural balance fat dog) he has been healthy..................Now this may seem a bit of a reach but whenever we walk Jett he has always pulled hard on his leash for at least the first 10 minutes or so of his walks has always urinated on his walks and usually pooped.....Yesterday he did all these things but kept shaking his head and seemed a bit off........Today on his walk he didnt pull AT ALL ..I took him outside he sniffed the doors on our cars walked maybe 50 feet and was looking around almost as if he was looking for something specific...he stayed in 1 spot looking and would only walk a bit if I shook the leash...when I ran a little he ran but slowed and stopped in seconds and started looking again...when I went to go back in my house he sniffed a lot on both cars....(the cars that we drive him to the vet in) He didnt pee or poop for the first time I remember....He ate all his food , drank his water etc......am I paranoid to worry about this or might it be something else

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, Vince. It's not uncommon for owners who are well-bonded with their animal to pick up on abnormal symptoms far before the pet is displaying real problems. Nothing you've shared in the history sounds like a major concern, though the head shaking may indicate an ear infection. The best plan would be to have Jett examined by your vet to see if they can determine any abnormality on examination, such as the aforementioned suspect ear infection which needs to be diagnosed with a special instrument called an otoscope meant to evaluate the inner ear past where we can see as owners. Your vet may also recommend bloodwork with the change in his behavior at home, given that he's a senior, to ensure that you're not seeing early symptoms of medical concerns like liver disease, kidney disease, a thyroid disorder, etc.

You also have the option to wait and watch to see if more symptoms develop or if he returns to his normal self within a few days, so long as his habits remain unchanged such as eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Vince,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jett. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well we took him to the vet.....she did a full physical exam , bloodwork and urine....nothing abnormal was found.
I have found when I walk him , once I get 200 feet or so from my house he does start pulling and enjoying his walk more but then he will just sit or look around and short of dragging him up I just let him do his thing......After a time he may start to walk again and then walk about and stop and look around.................can dogs have psychological / behavioral disorders as humans do??

Absolutely, they most certainly can.