Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has some type of cancer and the doctor did an

Customer Question
Hi my dog has...

Hi my dog has some type of cancer and the doctor did an aspirations

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Aspirated like 3 hours ago she gave me pred to start him in today should I wait for the results

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Nube he is 3 yrs and 5 month I am dead inside since I found this out yesterday

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
8/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry to hear about the news you have gotten.

I would start the Prednison today. Pred is used to treat some types of Cancers like Leukemia or lymphoma as well as other cancers. If your Vet suspects the lump aspirated to be Lymphoma, Prednisone is the treatment of choice.

Please hit repoly to discuss this information.

Joan

but how long will it take for it to work?
How do I know it is not hurting him more than helping him?

The Prednisone is standard with Prednison with Possibility of cancer. The Vet will monitor blood work along the way to be sure it is not causing a problem. Prednisone needs to build up in the system, so soorner it is started the better. Lymphoma, which I assume by the treatment of pred is not treated with Chemo, so Prednisone is the treatment of choice to reduce the size of the growth.

Prednisone can reduce the spread of Cancer as well as treat it. You can read more about the treatment here:

https://www.vetinfo.com/using-prednisone-for-dogs-with-cancer.html

There is no set time for the Pred working and I am sure your Vet will be monitoring your dog closely.

I know this is overwhelming and I have been through it myself with 2 of my own dogs, but you need to have confidence in your Vet that he will offer the best treatment to slow the progression and stop it alltogether.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech