Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog has some type of cancer and the doctor did an

Customer Question

Hi my dog has some type of cancer and the doctor did an aspirations
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: aspirated like 3 hours ago she gave me pred to start him in today should I wait for the results
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Nube he is 3 yrs and 5 month I am dead inside since I found this out yesterday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry to hear about the news you have gotten.

I would start the Prednison today. Pred is used to treat some types of Cancers like Leukemia or lymphoma as well as other cancers. If your Vet suspects the lump aspirated to be Lymphoma, Prednisone is the treatment of choice.

Please hit repoly to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but how long will it take for it to work?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I know it is not hurting him more than helping him?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

The Prednisone is standard with Prednison with Possibility of cancer. The Vet will monitor blood work along the way to be sure it is not causing a problem. Prednisone needs to build up in the system, so soorner it is started the better. Lymphoma, which I assume by the treatment of pred is not treated with Chemo, so Prednisone is the treatment of choice to reduce the size of the growth.

Prednisone can reduce the spread of Cancer as well as treat it. You can read more about the treatment here:

https://www.vetinfo.com/using-prednisone-for-dogs-with-cancer.html

There is no set time for the Pred working and I am sure your Vet will be monitoring your dog closely.

I know this is overwhelming and I have been through it myself with 2 of my own dogs, but you need to have confidence in your Vet that he will offer the best treatment to slow the progression and stop it alltogether.

Joan