Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

130 lb English mastiff swallowed a chicken leg, Ragnar and…

Customer Question
130 lb English mastiff...

130 lb English mastiff swallowed a chicken leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Mastiff will be able to digest that. What is the Mastiff's name and age?

Ragnar and he is 2.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ragnar?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
8/6/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was this raw or cooked?

When did the ingestion occur?

Does Ragnar normally eat a raw diet?

Cooked. He eats a combination of dry and wet food.About 90 min ago

Given his size, it's quite possible that this will not cause a major issue for him. There is an imminent risk of gastric irritation or blockage, which you may be able to prevent with a higher fiber, bland diet that can help move ingested items like cooked bones through the GI tract.

To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Feed exclusively for at least 7 days following during which time you should see the bone pass in his stool (it may appear white or chalky). After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If you see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, avoidance of food or water, etc. these can all be concerning symptoms of a GI concern related to the bone consumption and an examination would be worthwhile.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?