Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has clear mucus the consistency of saliva coming from…

Customer Question
My dog has clear...

My dog has clear mucus the consistency of saliva coming from her anus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Tater. She's a female, approximately 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tater

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

There may be some swelling around her rear.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
8/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Is she straining?

Can she pass stool normally? Is it hard or loose?

Is the swelling just around the rectum?

I looked closer and it isn't her rectum that's swollen, its where she pees. She's been swollen for about a week. I don't think she's straining. The mucus is new as of yesterday. She may have some diarrheal problems. If it helps she's also diabetic.

Hello again,

Now if that is the case, that does change our concerns here for Tater. Increased mucus from the vagina is something we do see with urinary tract irritation from infection, bladder stones or urinary crystals. With that in mind, I have to say that if she is a diabetic and also has had diarrhea (which can contaminate the vagina with bacteria), then she is a high risk dog for bladder infections. And I have to warn that diabetics often won't show urinary straining or passing small amounts of urine like normal dogs with bladder infections due to their having so much urine to pass.

With this in mind and since we don't want to run the risk of any infection spreading to the kidneys, we would want her seen as soon as her vet is open. That way we can get her urine checked and start antibiotics for her. To give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder less "friendly" to the bacteria.

Overall, when we see a diabetic dog with these signs we'd be worried about irritation in the urinary tract and vagina. And given her situation, bladder infection is a top concern. Therefore, we'd want to use the above for her but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked by her vet. The vet can perform a full examination to rule out those other concerns for her. And if a bladder infection is confirmed they can get her onto treatment and get her back to normal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian