Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My mini schnauzer has developed a swollen stomach over the…

Customer Question
My mini schnauzer has...

My mini schnauzer has developed a swollen stomach over the past few months while losing a lot of other body mass. He tries to eat grass and dirt, but won't eat very much dog food. He isn't vomiting, he has a dry cough, and does not poop as much as normal. His gums are fine and his eyes are normal, he breathes hard, but he always has.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Schnauzer?

He will be 13 years old next month

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
8/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. If his stomach is starting to look more and more distended, it is most likely from fluid buildup. It could be from a mass, but that would have to be a very large mass to cause distension. If from fluid buildup, it probably isn't bleeding if his gums are still pink. Congestive heart failure would be the most likely scenario, but it could be due to kidney problems or liver problems (both create low protein levels in the blood stream and allow the fluid to escape). I would have your vet do a thorough exam on him, run some blood work and consider x-rays of the abdomen and chest. Cancer is still a big possibility. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Schnauzer is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian