Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My puppy who is 5 months has a bloated stomach and is

Customer Question
Hi, my puppy who...

Hi, my puppy who is 5 months has a bloated stomach and is drinking water excessively. Other than that, he's acting normal and has had regular bowel movements. Not sure what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Griff

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
8/5/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

When was he last wormed?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

We just noticed his extended stomach about 4 hours ago and he has been drinking water excessively. I don't think he ate anything out of the ordinary because his stools have been normal today. His gums are a medium to light pink. He had his worm meds a week ago that flushed them all out. He is currently on cephalexin and prednisolone.
He does not react at all when I press his belly

Hello again,

Now even if his stools are normal today, it doesn't exclude ingestion of harmful items since it can take 12-48 hours for those to cause signs. So, we do need to tread with care. Though while its quite uncommon to see pups treated with Prednisolone, I have to say that that is likely our culprit here. Steroids increase thirst and if he is drinking loads it will distend the belly. Furthermore, steroids can cause liver swelling giving their bellies a distended appearance. So, this is likely what is causing his signs and we may need to wean him down from the dose he is on. Therefore, it would be ideal to ring his vet so they can start weaning the dose given. Else if you cannot reach them you can half his dose just now to see if we can reduce both of those side effects and get these drug side effects reduced for Griff.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian