Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We have a male standard poodle, 11 years old, neutered, ~80…

Customer Question
Hi there, we have a...
Hi there, we have a male standard poodle, 11 years old, neutered, ~80 lbs , black in colour with some silver points in his ears.We have him on a raw food diet since 2011 because he had terrible ear infections (when we got him, he was infected badly). It took about a year on that diet for him to be completely infection free and very active and otherwise healthy.Although it's summer, our home is cool but I notice that our boy has started panting all of a sudden.He coughs 3-4 times a day like he's clearing his throat. The clearing the throat thing is not new. He also reverse sneezes from time to time.So, I am wondering if his beginning to pant almost all the time he's awake is something we should take him to the clinic for?Thanks for your time.Tammi
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

2) Are you hearing any extra noise during the panting that isn't typical for him?

Hi sorry for the delay - I am checking out the videos now
I've looked at all the videos and the reverse sneezing is something he does, maybe once or twice a month, typically at night when he's just about going to sleep.When he's panting, he doesn't appear to make any wheezing or other noises which sound like his breating is restricted in any way.Oddly, the kennel cough video seemed to resemble the type of cough he does from time to time, like I said, it's like he has something in his throat and is trying to cough it up. Usually one big cough, wide open mouth and a gag at the end: it's nonproductive although some saliva will come out occasionally.I feel kind of silly now because it seems as though he's not panting the past couple days and our weather has changed from hot and humid (he was panting) to cooler and dryer air (now he's not) so I guess it was just heat/weather related which is odd because we've had hotter weather and this hasn't happened before.I guess I'll just keep an eye on him and see how he does and get him over to the clinic if he's off.

Keep me posted if you need additional assistance.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian