Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has vommitted twice since he's been put to bed at 10…

Customer Question
My dog has vommitted...

My dog has vommitted twice since he's been put to bed at 10 pm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

He has gone normally but has had loose stools

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Riggins, 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Riggins

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

How many veterinary vaccine appointments has Riggins had thus far?

There are so many factors for Riggins it could be so many different things
We had obedience training at 7 pm tonight, it's now midnight. We use a lot of treats to reward the puppies so I'm not sure if that would cause it.

That could most certainly be the cause.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

After obedience, we went to a friend's house where Riggins got into some other dog food (only had a couple bites). They were rough housing and riggins hit his head pretty hard on the corner of a coffee table. He didn't whimper or show any signs that he was hurt, he just continued playing.
Riggins threw up the first time around 10 pm. The second around 11:45 pm.

Thank you for the additional info. Did my reply post above about steps to take to help with the symptoms?

I don't have any access to the medications listed

Pepcid is available at any pharmacy and often available at local gas stations and such that are open overnight. If this is not an option what medications do you have available to you?

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse