Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11-year-old Pomeranian was diagnosed with congestive

Customer Question
My 11-year-old Pomeranian...

My 11-year-old Pomeranian was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few years ago she had a bout with fluids in her longs and they said she was oxygen dependent we brought her home she seemed OK for four days when we came home one day we found her passed away by her water bowl do you think she had a heart attack and is that painful thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name?

Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Pomeranian?

She also had pulmonary hypertension and valve disease she seem to go so quick

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
I would like to know what the body ,lungs ,heart actually do that causes death, why would she die so suddenly?
8/3/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When dogs are in congestive heart failure, the body is under great stress. The heart is working much harder than normal to function. Since she had been diagnosed a few years ago, chances are that her heart simply stopped working. For many animals with heart issues, this is a spontaneous occurrence, does not cause pain and is immediate. We often have no indicator that this will happen and, thus, cannot predict it or otherwise prepare for it.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you , is it the heart and valves that cause her to be oxygen dependent? Or the pulmonary hypertension that she also had? Is of comfort to know she passed quietly thanks

Do you mean deprived, perhaps? All animals are oxygen dependent.