Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 9lb dachshund ate one of these three pills. Chromium Pic,

Customer Question

My 9lb dachshund ate one of these three pills. Chromium Pic, Renntadine or MagOxide. Do either of these require a Vet Visit?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Peaches ūüćĎ and she is 1 and half (people years).
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Will I get a response/reply soon? I am concerned.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Chromium and magnesium oxide aren't concerns. Is renntadine actually ranitidine? If so how many mg were ingested, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was 1 150mg pill

Thank you. I would dose ranitidine at just 10 mg for Peaches. 150 mg is quite an overdose but clinical experience with ranitidine overdosage is limited. Single doses of 1,000 mg per kg of body weight in rodents didn't cause death. Be that as it may, it would be prudent to induce emesis with 10 mL (2 measuring teaspoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between Peaches's cheek and cheek teeth. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not , please repeat the same dose. Inducing emesis is predicated upon her ingesting the pills within the hour. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.