PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a small chihuahua who is very sleepy, weak,

Customer Question

I have a small chihuahua who is very sleepy, weak, sensitivity to light has trouble opening her eyes, fever. She will drink but won't eat. I think she may have eaten my cats food with dewormer in it, or ate the poo with treated worms. Only thing I can think of
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Cappy is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cappy?
Customer: I think I may have covered the just, cappy only weighs about 3lbs
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her teeth are also going bad, when she rubs her paw on them she let's out a faint wimper
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) When did she stop eating?
4) What is her temperature?
5) Can you describe the sensitivity to light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same food, possible bones I found pieces, tried to feed her cooked ground beef last night she wouldn't eat, no stress. Yes vomiting not daily just the first day, solid stool, stopped eating lastnight. She opens her eyes but shows signs of pain or weakness when keeping them open (not the eye area pain but I've had her a long time to know when she is crying) her eyes say she is in pain, when the light gets brighter ahead closes them more. I do not have a thermometer to check temp just know she is warm to the touch, nose is wet and cold tho

I would urge you to have her examined and treated given her small size and the potential for bone ingestion. It's very likely that her weakness may be due to low glucose, which is a common symptom of small breed dogs that are not eating regularly or normal volumes of food.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Cappy today?