Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My four month old St. Bernard puppy has had diarrhea on and…

Customer Question
My four month old...

My four month old St. Bernard puppy has had diarrhea on and off for over a week now. He has been eating and drinking like normal. I am not changed anything in his diet. He only eats dog food which is the same food he has been eating since he was born. He has been chewing on a lot of sticks lately whenever he goes outside. Could this be causing his diarrhea?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the St. Bernard's name?

Zeus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

No. He hasn't had any issues otherwise. He's a very calm temper dog but he still has his puppy energy. None of that has changed.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
8/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry to hear Zeus is having problems.

Have you had him in for a Fecal exam?

Do you see any blood or mucus in the stool?

What brand of food do you feed?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't taken him in.
He eats Purina puppy chow.
I have not seen any blood or mucus in his stool. He does wake up throughout the night with the diarrhea as well.

Thank you!. There are several reasons we mosr see diarrhea in Puppies. These include food intolerance. and Purina Puppy Chow not the best Puppy food especially in large breed dogs.

Bacterial infections can be picked up outside and can cause the diarrhea you are seeing..

Viral infections are also a common cause of Diarrhea. Since Zeus is eating sticks in the yrad this falls into the categegory of foriegn body and garbage ingestion and well as picking up toxins..Parasites like round worms, Hook worms, Coccidia and Giardia very common in puppies, but need to have a Fecal sample done by the Vet. Lastly stress can also promote Diarrhea.

My suggestion is to have the Vet run a Fecal sample to rule out Parasites, Bacterial and Viral issues. I would also look into a better brand food for puppies like Natural Ba***** *****D for large breed puppies. It is a graiun free limited ingridient diet specialy formulated for Large breed Dogs growth.

In The interim until you see the Vet, please start a bland diet of 1 part skinless chicken breast boiled, to 3 parst white rice. To the mixture you can add some Pure Canned Pumpkin which is a high Fiber food to help firm up the stools. You also need a Probiotic, like Forte Flora to help replace gut flora in the intestinal tract. I suggest the Vet visit as soon as reasonably possible. This is a common issue in Puppies, but needs to be resolved. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

How is the puppy doing? I wante to check and see if you had further questions about what is happening with the puppy? I hope the information supplied was helpful. Please let me know.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan