Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She has been introduced to kennel cough by her brother, she

Customer Question
Good morning. She has been...
Good morning. She has been introduced to kennel cough by her brother, she is going to the vet today at 10:30 but wanted to read up a little on it. My friend who is a breeder said to give her tussin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** is 10 1/2 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toula?
Customer: She is a french Bulldog with a grade 2, maybe 3 heart murmur. After vet visit we will determine course of treatment
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
8/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Toula.

As you've probably read by now, kennel cough or tracheobronchitis is secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly. But if this is a virus , then it will have to run it's course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before improvement is seen and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

There aren't really any easy tests to diagnose this condition, in case you were wondering but if one canine member of the household starts to cough soon after the first one started, then we can pretty much assume that Kennel Cough is the reason why.

While this condition is usually transmitted between dogs (such as in a boarding or day care situation), we can bring home pathogens on our clothes or shoes which can then infect our dogs. In other words, there doesn't have to be direct contact between dogs for this condition to develop.

There are other conditions such as pneumonia or Canine influenza which mimics kenne lcough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become sick. These conditions may or may not be common or prevalent depending on where you live.

Some kennels require Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccines prior to boarding which can reduce the incidence of developing this condition. But it doesn't 100% prevent it. This vaccine helps protect against the most common bacterial cause but won't be effective against viral causes.

As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.

But acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan. The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

I'd also advise that you feed dry dog food (if this is what you feed) soaked in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush and is less likely to cause irritation to the throat when it's swallowed.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian