Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

He just ate a 100 mg seroquel and he is only 25 lbs. I

Customer Question

He just ate a 100 mg seroquel and he is only 25 lbs. I dropped it and he ate it before I could stop him. Should I induce vomitting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Louis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louis?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

How long ago did he eat the pill?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
15 minutes ago

I`m afraid I am unable to offer a live phone call from the UK, but I am happy to continue here. if you would prefer, I can opt out and one of the other vets may be able to offer this service?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, what should I do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I induce vomiting or take him to a vet to be monitored?

Seroquel does have the potential to be toxic. it can cause nervous system depression, low blood pressure, liver damage, and electrolyte imbalances.

I would recommend having him checked out by your vet ASAP.

If he ingested the medication in the last 15 minutes, then inducing vomiting is a good idea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I induce vomiting

You can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). After giving this orally, encourage him to walk around to mix his stomach contents.. This should usually lead to vomiting. If he doesn`t vomit after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more.

Even if he does vomit just now, I would still recommend having him checked over by your vet as depression of the nervous system and low blood pressure can lead to severe problems.

.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrRawlingVet