Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 5 lb multipoo may of ate maybe a couple of 2mg Nicorette…

Customer Question
My 5 lb multipoo...

My 5 lb multipoo may of ate maybe a couple of 2mg Nicorette lozenges the tiny ones

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Maltipoo will be able to digest that. What is the Maltipoo's name and age?

Tucker and 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Maltipoo's name?

Tucker

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
he just through up 3 tablets. he seems fine now ?? lTucker is laying down now
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/1/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you know how long ago the lozenges were consumed?

Can you share a link to the exact product that was consumed?

Do you know if he consumed any additional lozenges?

I don't know for sure but he threw up 3 2 mg mini lozenges he seems fine now..
Not 32 3 of 2mg Nicorette mini lozenges
They weren't dissolved quite yet he threw up about 5 minutes after consuming

We do considered these types of ingestions a potential for toxicity. Without knowing how many lozenges that Tucker consumed, I would urge you to go to the ER overnight for good measure. Nicotine toxicity is a risk if he consumed the lozenges and they were even partially absorbed. Based on the info shared, it sounds like the potential exists for him to have additional lozenges in his system which may still be absorbed. You can learn more here: http://www.greenbrier-emergency.com/nicotine-toxicity-in-pets/ Thankfully, I do not see xylitol in the ingredient panel, so there's one less concern for the long-term effects of this ingestion but I cannot tell you that Tucker is not at risk of a major health concern given the ingestion and his size. I would err on the side of caution and visit an ER facility overnight.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tucker doing?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse