Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She ate a small dough ball made for roaches. I send about 3…

Customer Question
She ate a small...

She ate a small dough ball made for roaches. I send about 3 tablespoons of borax to make about 45 balls. My dog weighs 15#

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She is Bella and is 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

I think the ball contained about 1 gram of Borax

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Borax (boric acid, borates) is considered of very low toxicity to dogs. 3 tablespoons (~45 grams) per 45 balls does mean 1 gram per ball which is an insignificant ingestion by a 15 lb dog. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Bella wasn't wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

How long for vomiting to start? Okay to feed her? Any long term effects for any kidney damage?

If vomiting were to arise at all, it would arise soon after ingestion. Borax is an irritant to the lining of the GI tract. Yes, feeding is smart as it will dilute however much was ingested. No, there are no expected symptoms much less major organ damage. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Greg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian