Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My puppy is a 14 week old tibetan terrier. earlier today he…

Customer Question
Hi, my puppy is...

Hi, my puppy is a 14 week old tibetan terrier. earlier today he was in his crate for about 2.5 hours and when i returned he had thrown up, i only saw bits of food nothing unusual. but within the last two hours he seems to be peeing uncontrollably. accidents in the house aren't a surprise, but i took him outside he peed twice and pooped. returned to the house and he peed again 5 minutes later. and then again 10 minutes after on the couch which he has never done. he is acting normal, still playful, no whining but does seem to be extra thirsty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your Tibetan terrier eat anything unusual?

No, not to my knowledge

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Tibetan terrier's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

No, until today he's been a perfectly healthy pup

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
7/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is possible that your dog has a urinary tract infection but in pups it is very hard to tell since pups tend to drink a lot and urinate enough. Since most are not totally house trained until they are a bit older, accidents inside are not necessarily a good indicator either.

Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Other causes for increased thirst and frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing, , and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Given his age, it is likely he needs a vet visit son for a rabies vaccine if he hasn't had it already, so I'd have him seen if these symptoms continue more than a day or so.

I hope I've given you good service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.