Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's having odd. Sometimes normal, sometimes a little soft,

Customer Question
She's having odd poops...

She's having odd poops. Sometimes normal, sometimes a little soft, then suddenly pencil-thin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Thora is 3, and a recent addition to the family. She came out of the Humane Society. We've had her two weeks today. She's a mini-doodle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thora?

She came into the Humane Society with severe diarrhea and underweight. She's put on a kilo and a half since we've had her.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
8/1/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Have any diagnostics been performed on her stool?

We've stuck with the same diet as prescribed by the vet, even the same treats. She doesn't get human food because of her issues entering the Humane Society.She's chewed up the rope a little, but we got one designed to break down in case she ingests any. Neither of the thin poops had any of the threads in them.There haven't been any tests yet because both times she's had the pencil thin poops, her next has looked normal. I'm concerned because it's happened more than once.

If it's happened more than once it's time for diagnostics. Your vet will want to start with a fecal analysis to determine if she has any intestinal parasites or protozoan which may be causing her stool to be abnormal. Your vet may also recommend a course of antibiotics, as well as probiotics to help balance the GI flora. I would do this sooner rather than later since she is having consistent issues with her stool, particularly if you have other animals in the home which may develop ailments from her that can be passed in the stool. Be sure to pick up all stools she passes and dispose of them safely to decrease the risk of any parasites or protozoan entering the environment in your area.

Checking in. How is Thora today?