Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just got a puppy that has small cloudy spots on his eyes.

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a puppy that has small cloudy spots on his eyes. I took him to the vet and they did an eye stain but said that didn't show anything. The breeder I got him from believes it is an infection, she has given me clavamox pills, penicillin g injectable, and terramycin ointment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Winston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?

No, I just got him a week ago and have been giving the terramycin ointment 4 times a day. And just today the breeder gave me the other stuff

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/30/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

When was the original spot noted? Has it improved? worsened?

I disagree entirely with the breeder. Avoiding a recheck may cost your puppy his vision in that eye. I would recommend not only a recheck but talking to your vet about potentially referring Winston over to an ophthalmologist. Has Winston had any vet care aside from the eye exam such as vaccines or a fecal examination? Were the pressures checked within this eye, as well, as tear production?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He had is first set of shots and deworming. The vet only didn't he stain, and said it could be corneal dystrophy.

Thank you for the additional information. Before presuming this is not going to be a concern for Winston's health, I would ask for a referral to an ophthalmologist. Additional treatment your vet may be able to offer should involve bloodwork if corneal dystrophy is suspected. This condition usually affects both eyes and may result in elevations on the bloodwork such as high cholesterol or calcium. As mentioned above, left untreated this may result in blindness in one or both eyes. Additionally, the breeder should be encouraging you to find a cause for this as it may indicate a concern with the animals they're producing. If this puppy has a congenital defect that is covered under their health guarantee, time will be of the essence in receiving a diagnosis.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Which breed is he, please? An Aussie? This looks like a punctate keratitis - an unusual form of corneal dystrophy or an immune-mediated keratitis seen most often in the Shetland sheepdog and longhaired dachschund. It wouldn't respond to antibiotics and so Clavamox, penicillin, and Terramycin opthalmic ointment aren't indicated. Treatment for immune-mediated keratitis involves the use of topical immunosuppressives or immunomodulators such as cyclosporine or tacrolimus. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply, he is a corgi 8 weeks. The breeder is convinced that it isn't genetic, because she has been breeding them for 30 years, but thinks it might be an infection of some kind, from a scratch.

Ah! It probably isn't genetic but there's no reason to believe that it's an infection either. I can't rule out that there once was an infection that left the cornea scarred but the cornea isn't staining with fluoroscein and so any infection causing cornea damage would be long gone and I believe that I see punctate (pinpoint) lesions of the cornea which wouldn't be consistent with an infection in any event. Furthermore, an infection causing corneal changes in both eyes isn't very common in such a young pup. His eyes need to be examined with a slit lamp and for that you'll need to consult with a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (www.acvo.org). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. Is this something that is treatable and will go away or will he always have those marks on his eyes and have vision issues the rest of his life?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He seems to see fine and is acting like a normal puppy otherwise.

The diagnosis will need to be clarified before we know his prognosis. Corneal dystrophies might leave the cornea permanently opaque. You're quite welcome.