Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She has an unusual swelling on her front left leg. I've been

Customer Question
giving her warm compresses and...
She has an unusual swelling on her front left leg. I've been giving her warm compresses and some of the area has lost hair and has exposed skin. Can I send u pics?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There appears to hv been one last night, but that closed & now she has another.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nahla, 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
7/30/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, I would like to see pics. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

The pic with only 1 open wound was last night. Today they're 2. Is it ok for her to lick the wounds? I'm inclined to cover them so she won't & so they're not exposed when I let her out to do her necessities. I'm still putting warm compresses pretty frequently. The heat seems to open the wound, like in pic w/ one wound.
Please call my house number(###) ###-####

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

If you can't call it's ok... it popped up as an option, that's why I placed it.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

These appear to be cutaneous manifestations (kerions) of dermatophytosis (ringworm fungus). The hairs adjacent to them should be fungal cultured. Nahla was prescribed an antibiotic (clindamycin), a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID/Rimadyl/carprofen), and an appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) - none of which I see a use for. There's no need to warm compress or cover these but we do need to investigate a fungus because it can spread over Nahla and is contagious to you and other pets.

I'm comfortable with you on chat. So, it's Sunday. I don't know if we hv a vet open today. How can I keep it from spreading? I have her sister always around her; they sleep together.

You can bathe Nahla in a shampoo containing 2% ketoconazole, 1% ketoconazole/2% chlorhexidine, or 2% miconazole. I admit that I don't know if these are available over the counter in Puerto Rico but might be found where pet supplies are sold or perhaps through a human pharmacy. Shampooing will lessen a fungal load on the skin. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What could have possibly caused this?

Contact with the Microsporum or Trichophyton fungus in the soil. The warm and humid climate in Puerto Rico is conducive to fungal growth.

Both my dogs are on Bravecto & Interceptor. We've lived here for 5 yrs & this has never happened. They spend must if the day & sleep indoors because if the heat. Why now??
The wounds only became exposed last night, after the warm compresses.

Neither Bravecto nor Interceptor are effective against fungi. The first order of buisness is to fungal culture in an attempt to confirm fungal infection. If it can't be confirmed, an envenomation by spider or perhaps the Puerto Rican Racer snake needs to be considered. I admit that the general swelling I see isn't consistent with a fungal infection but I don't want to overlook that possibility because of its contagion. I suspect that her vet was concerned with an envenomation which prompted prescribing those drugs.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian