Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We went to the beach today i think she drank salt water she…

Customer Question
We went to the...

We went to the beach today i think she drank salt water she was throwing up alot on are way home and now she has her belly a little swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosey?

She's having like tight breath like if she was in pain

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/29/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Any chance she ate anything non-edible while at the beach (ie sand, shells, etc)?

Any diarrhea or weakness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she can keep water downHer gums are pink and moist
Discomfort and tensing
78
No we didnt see her eating anything the only thing she was doing was drinking salt water.but we normally take her out of the water ever 30 min to give her regular water
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just weakness

Hello again,

Now we do need to be careful here with Rosey. Salt water overdoses can cause some serious signs. Most often we can see restlessness, lethargy, and GI upset (appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramps). Though if severe we can also see weakness, wobbliness, muscle tremors, and seizures. So, if she is very weak or we were to see those other severe signs, then we'd want her to her vet urgently for IV fluids therapy to rebalance her electrolytes with symptomatic care for her GI signs.

Otherwise, at this stage, plan to continue to offer clean drinking water and avoid high salt treats or chews. As well, you can consider treating with a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) and an antacid to settle her stomach. In regards ***** ***** latter, there are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are : Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, we need to be very careful here. Rosey's belly discomfort is likely cramps but if she is weak and breathing heavy, we may need to try the above but have her seen if she doesnt' settle or those other signs appear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.