Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 7 lb dog was given enalapril 15 mg accidentally when she…

Customer Question
My 7 lb dog...

My 7 lb dog was given enalapril 15 mg accidentally when she was only to receive 2.5 mg an hour ago ; should I do anything about it now ; she's been off the med for about a week due to side effects (itching)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

It's not a flea medicine !

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

We were told she developed a heart murmur , thus the heart medicine but was totally asymptomatic so we stopped it because of the side effects

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
7/29/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Good news, the company that makes this drug has studied toxicity risks and this dose is actually below the dose they found caused severe adverse signs. So, if anything, we could just see itching (as she has had that before on her normal dose) and possibly dizziness, lethargy, wobbliness, and possible lowering of the blood pressure causing weakness. With this in mind, we have a few options. If it has been an hour ago, we can still induce vomiting. To do that at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, you could monitor over the next 12-24 hours. Of course, if she is quite sensitive and we were to see those signs, then we'd want a check with the local vet and fluids to just flush this out quicker for her. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you for your quick response, since it's been approaching 2 hrs now we'll just observe her

You are very welcome, my dear.

If it is closer to the 2 hour mark, that is a reasonable approach for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian