Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog ate some grapes, Baxter. He is 10 yrs old. I was about an hour ago. He seems fine so far. Not really. He does have

Customer Question
He ate some grapes ...

He ate some grapes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Baxter. He is 10 yrs old. I was about an hour ago. He seems fine so far.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

Not really. He does have separation anxiety.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
7/29/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Emily, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian

Grape toxicity is one area that the veterinary world is lacking scientific research to discover what exactly cause the kidney failure in some dogs and not others, and what exactly the toxic dose is. The general consensus is 0.7 oz/kg can be toxic. However, not every dog or cat is susceptible and some dogs can tolerate large quantities of grapes or raisins without any clinical signs. Thus there may be unknown patient risk factors in those that develop toxicity. My impression is that dogs that get quickly treated with fluids do better than those who wait till signs of kidney disease are apparent (i.e. it's easier to prevent the renal injury than to heal it). The problem with grapes/raisins is that we don't know which dogs will have problems and which won't, and of those that do have problem, which will have life threatening renal issues and which will only have mild signs. In the end, I base my recommendations on the circumstances of exposure. For example, a 25 pound dog could become ill after eating 8 oz which is around 10 grapes, depending on how large they are.

Clinical signs usually begin several hours after ingestion. Vomiting and lethargy are preceded by signs of acute renal failure within 24 hours. This can show up as very little to no urine production. Partially digested grapes and raisins might be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. There have been cases of gastrointestinal signs continuing for several weeks post ingestion. Early and aggressive treatment is indicated if signs are shown, but even so the prognosis must remain guarded once renal failure develops.

The best way to definitively say they are not in danger is to have a blood panel completed that includes BUN and creat, as well as calcium, potassium and phosphorus. This panel can be completed approximately 12 hours post ingestion. If it has been less than 2 hours since ingestion, you can induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide. The amount is 1 ml per pound. If no vomiting in 10 minutes, the amount can be repeated one additional time.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Christine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Emily
He seems to be doing fine. we gave him charcoal tablets as we read that suggestion as well. I didn't get you response because the site just kept buffering. However, even reading it now makes me feel a little better.
thank you

Oh ok, I'm sorry the site wouldn't load for you! That's frustrating for you. I'm glad things are working out well though.