Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 10 wk old 16.5 lb lab puppy swollowed my Ambien CR 12.5

Customer Question

My 10 wk old 16.5 lb lab puppy swollowed my Ambien CR 12.5 mg when it fell out of my hand! I am freaking out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Marley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?
Customer: He had just eaten so had a full belly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Ambien { Zolpidem } is a sleeping tablet used in humans but not usually prescribed in the dog. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. While there can be no guarantees my experience is that if you fail to induce vomiting then this is not likely to be a fatal incident, but Marley may well suffer distressing side effects such as incoordination,vomiting, excess salivation, tremors lethargy and weakness amongst other symptoms.

3. Of course if you become further concerned in any way then you should take your dog to a local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Marley's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Marley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ambien incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott