Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

My house is around 90 degrees right now. The AC doesn't work

Customer Question

My house is around 90 degrees right now. The AC doesn't work and I'm financially unable to fix it. My 6yo GSD is panting, pacing, hiding in the closet. I have a portable AC and fans in the bedroom where they hang out and will often shut the door to keep them cooler. I do keep their water in the room, as well. Sometimes he'll get in the shower, it's plastic not porcelain, and lay/pant. Is it the heat that's bothering him? He has had two poop accidents in the house in the last month, which is rare. Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

This sounds like it could be related to the heat, or possibly anxiety related, but other various causes are possible as well. To be able to diagnose would require a physical examination and possibly some diagnostics.

An easy at home anxiety remedy for dogs is to administer benadryl 25mg tablets, dosed at 1-2mg per lb of body weight, so for example a 75lb dog would get 75mg of benadryl. This can help calm them down during periods of anxiety, but is not as helpful as prescription medications.

For dogs that are hyperthermic, there are a few tricks to help cool them off quickly. Using A/C and fans can definitely help. Offering free access to water can help, it's ok to put a few ice cubes in to keep it cool. Using a hose outside if they like water to soak their coat is helpful sometimes. One of the best tricks that is used in the clinic often is to apply rubbing alcohol to their paws while a fan is on them. Dogs lose a lot of heat through panting as well as their paws. Extreme cooling measures should be undertaken only with a veterinarians guidance, if you are concerned your dog may be experiencing heat stroke as these basic cooling measures aren't helping, veterinary assessment needs to be pursued. In order to achieve a full assessment and pursue a diagnosis for these behaviors, you'll need to seek veterinary assessment in person. But, these are some general pointers on helping a dog cool off, which might be helpful in your situation.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The closet he keeps hiding in is not cool. He doesn't seem to like to lay in front of one of the fans like my other two dogs.

It certainly could be anxiety, dogs commonly will seek shower / tubs with storm / firework anxiety (or other causes), the thought is they feel safer as it blocks out sounds more in those areas. Benadryl will not hurt and may help, so that's a good consideration.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck