Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has consumed about 80 np thyroid 60mg pills and is

Customer Question

Hello my dog has consumed about 80 np thyroid 60mg pills and is showing no signs so far after probably two hours of it happening
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: What should I do?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: There are actually 4 dogs, we think the largest one did it he is 135lbs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Those 60 mg pills contain very little of the active thyroid hormone of dogs - 0.038mg of levothyroxin. 80 x 0.038 mg = 3 mg which is about 4X the dose for an 80 lb dog. Such an overdose isn't significant even in the smallest dog and so none of your dogs are expected to show adverse symtoms. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok is levothyroxine used in np thyroid medicine?

NP thyroid which is made from dried thyroid glands of animals contains a small amount of levothyroxine. I'm not sure what you mean by is it "used" in NP thyroid. Please clarify.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just didn't know if levothyroxine (synthroid) was the same as np thyroid and wanted to make sure you understood what medicine it actually was

Yes, I'm familiar with the product. Equivalent products go under the names of Armour Thyroid, Nature-Throid NT-1, Nature-Throid NT-1/2, Nature-Throid NT-2, Nature-Throid NT-3, Nature-Thyroid, and Westhroid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you again

It's my pleasure.