Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My miniature pinscher has suddenly becoming very clingy. She

Customer Question

My miniature pinscher has suddenly becoming very clingy. She seems to be showing signs that she is in pain. Her skin seems sensitive to the touch along her back and hip area. She has no lesions. This is very atypical since she is generally very independent and likes to spend most of her time resting in her bed/crate. She won't even go in her crate for the last 24-48 hours. She is eating and drinking fine. When looking at her, it almost looks like her coat is lumpy or unsettled, although I inspected it and don't see any bumps.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Miniature Pinscher's name and age?
Customer: Minnie. Estimated age is 11-13 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is jumping and running and standing on her back legs when she begs for food or gets excited. But today, when she was being petted, she screamed out in pain when her hips were scratched- she seemed to like it at first. She was also up all night pacing and being unable to rest. This dog usually sleeps a solid 20 hours a day, so this is very unlike her.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've also noticed that she seems to lost her footing, almost as if she's startled by something, so no reason when she is just standing on the hardwood floors. Her back legs scatter. And she's itchy. Sorry for all the information.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern tonight.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you need more information?

All of the information is very helpful. There are two paths this is going down based on your description. Initially it sounded as though she was having hives -- when you mentioned the coat looking lumpy or unsettled. This is how hives appear. They are also VERY sensitive and can make a dog appear very painful and not want to be touches. However, this should not affect her ability to stand and not lose her footing. Once you began mentioning that, I became more concerned about a strain in her lower back such as with a muscle or with a disk injury. Small dogs can herniate their disks and it can become serious. it initially starts with pain when handled or when the back is touched and can progress to difficulty walking.

Without physically handling her, it is difficult for me to narrow down between the two which is going on... do you see any red spot or circles on her belly where there is no fur? Hives can show up there as well.

Alternatively, has she had a history of any back injuries before?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She does not have a history of back injury. I do have some Rimadyl from a previous procedure for her. I gave her a dose tonight. Can she have Benadryl also?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No hives on her belly.

Yes, it would be appropriate to begin treating for both as the medications do not interact and are both same. Continue to give the rimadyl and start benadryl. How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
7-8 lbs. I generally try to cut a Benadryl in thirds. Does she need to see a chiropractor or veterinarian immediately, or am I okay to try to treat her at home for a few days.

I would avoid having her see a chiropractor without seeing a vet first due to the potential risk of a disk injury. If you keep her rested and quiet and start the medications, you can continue to monitor. If she seems to have a harder time walking or if she turns her feet over and places weight on the tops of them, then you need to see a vet immediately. If you can cut into thirds, that would be appropriate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pain would explain her reluctance to go into her dog crate? It's generally her safe place and now she won't go near it, but wants to be with us constantly.

Pain does make dogs change their normal behaviors. Some do want to hide, but others become more clingy because they feel vulnerable.

How are things today?