PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My little boy just slammed my shorkies head in the car door

Customer Question

My little boy just slammed my shorkies head in the car door now he is throwing up blood or something what do I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: His head was slammed into the car door
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and he is 4 monthz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: He just started shaking and throwing up dark thick bile
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is tilting his head back.. He is also just laying in his bed.. He moves a little and looks around at us.. He did have a lot of saliva coming from his mouth then all of a sudden thick dark red or black bile came out of his mouth.. It was real thick.. I don't know what to do.. I can't get to the vet until morning.. What can I do for him... ?? I am scared.. He also was shaking bad.. His head is starting to swell.. His mouth is locked shut.. Please help
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to hear that Max has suffered head trauma. Can you give me an update on what is going on? Is the vomiting continual? Are you seeing blood from the nose or mouth?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I actually just brought him to the hospital.. I couldn't get there last night.. Bc I have little ones.. But last night he was non responsive.. Then this morning he stood up and got out of his bed to pee, he did also vomit tho.. Black stuff.. I just took him in bc I can't watch him like that and didn't want my little ones to have a repeat of last night.. It upset us all very badly.. Now I'm just sitting and waiting.. On the call to see what the damage is.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No blood from anywhere.. Just black vomiting..

My suspicion is that he's likely dealing with some increased intracranial pressure due to the trauma, which can result in nausea and vomiting. The black vomiting you're seeing may well be from blood that was swallowed due to trauma. I'm glad that you chose to take him in as this will be the best route of care that can be offered. Many dogs survive head trauma, so be aware that there is potential for this to have a positive outcome. With diagnostics, treatment and time, your vet should be able to tell you if they're seeing improvements or not, which will have a direct reflection on whether or not he will make a successful recovery. If you learn more today from your vet and would like to talk further, feel free to reply and we can continue our chat.

Checking in. How is Max today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy